COFF Symbol Table Entries

arati_b@hotmail.com (AK)
25 Aug 2004 14:56:20 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
COFF Symbol Table Entries arati_b@hotmail.com (2004-08-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: arati_b@hotmail.com (AK)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Aug 2004 14:56:20 -0400
Posted-Date: 25 Aug 2004 14:56:19 EDT

Hi,

I am trying to write a program to read the COFF format and fix some
symbol table entries. The problem I have is this.

1. The COFF file that I am trying to fix is in the big endian format.
My program that is trying to fix the file runs on Linux on a i386
processor.

2. I can successfully read the file header, section header and
everything else (making the endian conversion).
However, when I try to read the symbol table, everything goes haywire.
I get the symbol table offset from the file header. The symbol table
entries return weird values. The offset into the string table for long
symbol names is greater than the string table itself. Also, for some
symbol table entries, I have a big number (for ex, 113) of auxiliary
entries.

Can anybody help me with this ? What am I doing wrong ?
I have spent days trying to figure this out.

Also, if someebody can point me to UNIX COFF specification, that would
be great. I only have the following document..that does not have a
great level of detail.

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/doc/coff/

Thanks a lot.
AK