Re: Linking with different compilers

Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov@charter.net>
25 Aug 2004 14:51:50 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Linking with different compilers bill.volz@chevrontexaco.com (2004-08-23)
Re: Linking with different compilers ppluzhnikov@charter.net (Paul Pluzhnikov) (2004-08-25)
Re: Linking with different compilers tee.teoh@sympatico.ca (Unknown) (2004-08-25)
Re: Linking with different compilers vidar@hokstad.name (2004-09-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov@charter.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Aug 2004 14:51:50 -0400
Posted-Date: 25 Aug 2004 14:51:50 EDT

bill.volz@chevrontexaco.com (Bill) writes:

> I have some libraries from one vendor that was built with gcc
> 3.0.2. I have another set of libraries from another vendor that was
> built with gcc 3.3.

This would not be a problem for C, but for C++ you might as well
consider this code to be compiled by different compilers.

The class layout has changed between these versions, and so did
name mangling. The objects are not link-compatible.

> I need to link a program that uses both libraries.

You can't.

> Am I screwed?

Yes.

> Can I relink the 3.3 shared libries to make them static?

No: shared libraries on most UNIX systems are considered a "final"
product, and can't be re-linked any more than you can re-link an
existing executable.

> BTW, this is Linux 7.3 on Intel.

You'll probably get answers faster in comp.os.linux.development.{apps,system}.

Cheers,