Re: Porting binaries from Solaris/SPARC to Linux/Intel

dido@imperium.ph
11 Aug 2004 12:54:12 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Porting binaries from Solaris/SPARC to Linux/Intel ganeshnt@s7solutions.com (2004-08-10)
Re: Porting binaries from Solaris/SPARC to Linux/Intel Jeffrey.Kenton@comcast.net (Jeff Kenton) (2004-08-11)
Re: Porting binaries from Solaris/SPARC to Linux/Intel dido@imperium.ph (2004-08-11)
Re: Porting binaries from Solaris/SPARC to Linux/Intel gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2004-08-11)
Re: Porting binaries from Solaris/SPARC to Linux/Intel kamalp@acm.org (2004-08-11)
Re: Porting binaries from Solaris/SPARC to Linux/Intel tesneddon@bigpond.com (Tim E Sneddon) (2004-08-13)
Re: Porting binaries from Solaris/SPARC to Linux/Intel bmitchel@gmail.com (2004-08-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: dido@imperium.ph
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Aug 2004 12:54:12 -0400
Posted-Date: 11 Aug 2004 12:54:12 EDT

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 05:34:55PM -0400, Ganesh Tiwari wrote:
> i want to write a program, which works much like ldd command, which
> goes throgh c/c++ binary on solaris/SPARC and check whether it is
> possible to port it on to linux/intel. How do i do this? what are
> the parameters to look for in binaries for porting. Any guide lines
> in this direction would be world of good to me. Please reply to this
> fast, i am running out of time.

I must wonder why you're so concerned about dynamic linking, when you
have the much more insurmountable problem of the difference between the
SPARC architecture and the IA32 architecture. Binaries are simply not
portable on the scale you seem to require. Perhaps if you were
attempting to port Solaris/Intel binaries to run on Linux/Intel it might
be your most pressing concern (I believe this has already been done, I
think IBCS is capable of doing so), but since you're attempting to get a
SPARC binary to run on Linux/Intel, it'll probably be the last thing you
need to worry about.

--
dido