Re: Compiler history

smidkiff@purdue.edu (Sam Midkiff)
15 Jul 2004 16:33:54 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler history toba12@freemail.hu (2004-07-11)
Re: Compiler history jlindsay@kingston.net (John H. Lindsay) (2004-07-13)
Re: Compiler history smidkiff@purdue.edu (2004-07-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: smidkiff@purdue.edu (Sam Midkiff)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Jul 2004 16:33:54 -0400
Posted-Date: 15 Jul 2004 16:33:54 EDT

On 11 Jul 2004 22:17:49 -0400, toba12@freemail.hu (toba) wrote:
>On an upcoming exam that I will have, there is a question regarding
>the history of compilers. I know that around '63 people were using
>operator precendence. They were followed by simple precendence
>grammars. And these were replaced by RL analizers (which were followed
>by LALR, I guess). But what was before the '60s and after? Can someone
>say a few word about it please?
>
>Balit
>[Before BNF, parsing was extremely ad-hoc. See Knuth's new Seleted
>Papers in Computer Languages for a paper on very early languages and
>the seminal papers on both LL and LR parsing. -John]

The article "The Fortran I compiler", Padua, D., Computing in Science
& Engineering [see also IEEE Computational Science and Engineering]
,Volume: 2 , Issue: 1 , Jan.-Feb. 2000, Pages:70 - 75 has some
discussion of parsing in the original Fortan 1 compiler, and is
generally an interesting article on early compiler technology.

Sam Midkiff