Re: compiler for embedded processor, job market? -- newbie's question

Derek M Jones <derek@NOSPAMknosof.co.uk>
9 Jun 2004 00:27:08 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler for embedded processor, job market? -- newbie's question gogogo_1001@yahoo.com (2004-06-06)
Re: compiler for embedded processor, job market? -- newbie's question derek@NOSPAMknosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones) (2004-06-09)
Re: compiler for embedded processor, job market? -- newbie's question seanatpurdue@hotmail.com (Sean) (2005-12-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Derek M Jones <derek@NOSPAMknosof.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Jun 2004 00:27:08 -0400
Posted-Date: 09 Jun 2004 00:27:08 EDT

Charlie,

> 1> I wonder what is the job market for compiler writters?

Writing their autobiographies (Confessions of a compiler writer ;-)

> * Seems only embedded processors are creating opportunities,
> when I seeing the ads on compilerjobs.com.

The market for compiler writers dried up after the last batch of new
'big iron' processors at the start of the 90's. Things seem to have
picked up a bit over the last few years. I guess the IBM/Sony cell
processor will keep a few compiler writers off the streets for a few
years.

> 2> How competitive it is for backend
> compiler-writer/porter/optimizer's job market?

Like most things it seems to be based on being in the right place at
the right time.

> 2> Having read the chapters about Code generation in dragon book,
> Munick's book, how to get some real hands-on market require skills
> for code gen for embedded processor?

Given there are more people with experience than jobs I would think
the chances of someone without experience being employed are zero.
Code generation is now fairly mathematical, so a newbe without a PhD
involving compiler writing is dead in the water.

I don't know if one of the more traditional paths of taking a grunt
job (e.g., testing or documentation on a compiler team), sticking
around for a few years and working your way up the ladder as people
leave, is still viable.

> 3> It seems that lots of job ads require GCC for embedded processors,
> I wonder ,In the market, what is the percentage of embedded compiler
> is implemented in GCC? If I started to learn GCC's code generation,
> would I be able to find a job?

Unless you spent a LOT of time learning your way around (perhaps
writing a new code generator), I don't see a future here.