assembler design

macluvitch@hotmail.com (macluvitch)
30 May 2004 13:32:42 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
assembler design macluvitch@hotmail.com (2004-05-30)
Re: assembler design praseedpai@yahoo.com (2004-06-30)
Re: assembler design georgeps@xmission.com (George Peter Staplin) (2004-07-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: macluvitch@hotmail.com (macluvitch)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 May 2004 13:32:42 -0400
Posted-Date: 30 May 2004 13:32:42 EDT

Hello everybody,

Well I'm trying to write a simple assembler with intel syntax.
I've got a look at gasm source (the gnu assembler) to get an idea on
how it's implemented or especially how it translates mnemonics into
opcodes, it's so complicated the way he does .
it uses a struct table representing the mnemonic token, it's
equivalent opcode,
how many arguments...

for example these following statements haven't the same opcodes
mov ah, mem
mov mem, h

so we have to say invent a way to handle all different possible ways

please can anybody clear things up for me