Re: Academic references on interpreters

Neelakantan Krishnaswami <neelk@cs.cmu.edu>
24 May 2004 00:23:16 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Academic references on interpreters growe@computing.dundee.ac.uk (2004-05-16)
Re: Academic references on interpreters anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2004-05-24)
Re: Academic references on interpreters nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2004-05-24)
Re: Academic references on interpreters neelk@cs.cmu.edu (Neelakantan Krishnaswami) (2004-05-24)
Re: Academic references on interpreters eliotm@pacbell.net (Eliot Miranda) (2004-05-24)
Re: Academic references on interpreters jcai@orcca.on.ca (2004-05-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Neelakantan Krishnaswami <neelk@cs.cmu.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 May 2004 00:23:16 -0400
Posted-Date: 24 May 2004 00:23:16 EDT

  Glenn Rowe wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knows of any academic (i.e. refereed
> journal papers or books) references on the writing of interpreters
> specifically (that is, NOT compilers). I'm mainly interested in
> interpreters for languages such as C++, Java or C#, but if anyone
> knows of *any* academic references on interpreters it would still be
> helpful.
>
> It seems that there must be something out there but I've been unable
> to find anything.

One paper I found very, very helpful was Xavier Leroy's tech report on
the implementation of the Caml light interpreter.

    <http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/leroy90zinc.html>

This is an extremely high-quality bytecode interpreter for a higher
order functional language, so much of the discussion should be easily
adapted to OO languages.

Anton Ertl has written a number of papers about interpretation,
with an special focus on how interpreters and real CPUs interact.

    <http://www.jilp.org/vol5/v5paper12.pdf>

He's also written the vmgen program, which takes a virtual machine
description and generates an interpreter for it that uses a lot of
the techniques he describes.

    <http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/vmgen/>

Finally, if you are interested in the relationship between operational
semantics and virtual machines, Olivier Danvy wrote a paper "A
Functional Correspondence Between Evaluators and Abstract Machines",
which shows how to systematically transform recursive AST interpreters
into abstract machines.

    <http://www.brics.dk/RS/03/13/>

--
Neel Krishnaswami