Re: Teaching compilers backwards?

"Michael Ross" <michael.l.ross@intel.com>
11 Mar 2004 12:53:11 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Teaching compilers backwards? rbates@southwind.net (Rodney M. Bates) (2003-10-04)
Re: Teaching compilers backwards? hat@se-126.se.wtb.tue.nl (Albert Hofkamp) (2003-10-08)
Re: Teaching compilers backwards? rmatthewk@hotmail.com (2003-10-08)
Re: Teaching compilers backwards? joachim.durchholz@web.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2003-10-12)
Re: Teaching compilers backwards? peter_flass@yahoo.com (Peter Flass) (2003-10-13)
Re: Teaching compilers backwards? Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca (Brian Inglis) (2003-10-13)
Re: Teaching compilers backwards? michael.l.ross@intel.com (Michael Ross) (2004-03-11)
Re: Teaching compilers backwards? rand@rice.edu (Randy Crawford) (2004-03-15)
Re: Teaching compilers backwards? zork_666@nospammail.net (Johnathan) (2004-03-15)
Re: Teaching compilers backwards? romesamo@earthlink.net (Rome Samo) (2004-03-19)
Re: Teaching compilers backwards? aycock@cse.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (John Aycock) (2004-03-19)
Re: Teaching compilers backwards? lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2004-03-19)
Re: Teaching compilers backwards? k301x@yahoo.com (dtf) (2004-03-19)

From: "Michael Ross" <michael.l.ross@intel.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Mar 2004 12:53:11 -0500
Posted-Date: 11 Mar 2004 12:53:10 EST

I've long maintained that teaching compiler construction in a one semester
course is doomed to fail. The kids simply can't learn fast enough. IMHO, the
best way to teach compiler construction is to require a machine organization
and architecture course, and an assembly language programming course as
prerequisites. Then have compiler construction split across two semesters or
3 quarters, depending on your school. And instead of having the kids write
their own from scratch, something they'll probably never do in their
industrial careers, have them pick up something like gcc, study it, and
modify it. Retarget it to a new machine. Add syntax. Go through and
understand how it does error recovery, and try to improve on it. Yes, you
can teach them to use flex and bison along the way, but this approach will
be closer to real life, and over a year's time, working in teams, they'll
learn enough about compilation to actually be useful. Just my opinion...
Mike