Re: Implementation Language Choice

Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz@web.de>
26 Feb 2004 10:00:43 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Implementation Language Choice kevin@albrecht.net (Kevin Albrecht) (2004-02-12)
Re: Implementation Language Choice kenrose@tfb.com (Ken Rose) (2004-02-13)
Re: Implementation Language Choice wienczny@web.de (Stephan Wienczny) (2004-02-13)
Re: Implementation Language Choice basile-news@starynkevitch.net (Basile Starynkevitch \[news\]) (2004-02-13)
Re: Implementation Language Choice joachim.durchholz@web.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2004-02-13)
Re: Implementation Language Choice kevin@albrecht.net (Kevin Albrecht) (2004-02-13)
Re: Implementation Language Choice lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2004-02-26)
Re: Implementation Language Choice joachim.durchholz@web.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2004-02-26)
Re: Implementation Language Choice gdr@integrable-solutions.net (Gabriel Dos Reis) (2004-02-27)
Re: Implementation Language Choice joachim.durchholz@web.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2004-03-02)
Re: Implementation Language Choice la@iki.fi (Lauri Alanko) (2004-03-02)
Re: Implementation Language Choice lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2004-03-02)
Re: Implementation Language Choice torbenm@diku.dk (2004-03-06)
Re: Implementation Language Choice bettini@dsi.unifi.it (Lorenzo Bettini) (2004-03-06)

From: Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz@web.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Feb 2004 10:00:43 -0500
Posted-Date: 26 Feb 2004 10:00:43 EST

Lex Spoon wrote:
> The feature that is especially nice is the pattern-matching switch
> statement that most functional languages include.

Agreed, pattern matching is nice. ("Pattern matching" as in "use a
typesafe union type, and recognize the variant at hand and disassemble
the record elements, all in a single construct"; the pattern matching
we're talking about here is unrelated to regular expressions or image
processing.)

Though it's beyond me why this never made it into mainstream imperative
languages; it's exceedingly useful.

> But also garbage collection is a key advantage.

Agreed, and, again, useful beyond functional programming.

> I sometimes wonder if functional language designers know about any
> programs *other* than compilers. :)

There's indeed a bias in that direction.
However, I think that's normal for languages that haven't broken out
into the mainstream.

> However you take this, it is clear that the ML family has proven a
> very effective implementation language for compilers.

Not just ML languages. There's the Haskell family, and there are less
well-known languages like Oz, Alice, or Scala.
All are good at implementing languages. It's a consequence of having
higher-order functions - it makes it so easy to implement languages that
the language designers often go the extra step to make it *really* easy.
This has been creating a bias for languages that are used for compiling
themselves and not much else, but ML and Haskell are definitely beyond
that stage now.

Regards,
Jo
--