Re: Atomicity block

Les Cargill <lcargill@worldnet.att.net>
13 Feb 2004 23:52:49 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Atomicity block alexili@ms.kyrnet.kg (2004-02-01)
Re: Atomicity block lcargill@worldnet.att.net (Les Cargill) (2004-02-04)
Re: Atomicity block thad@ionsky.com (Thad Smith) (2004-02-04)
Re: Atomicity block tlh20@cus.cam.ac.uk (2004-02-04)
Re: Atomicity block eventhelix@hotmail.com (2004-02-04)
Re: Atomicity block nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2004-02-08)
Re: Atomicity block K.Hagan@thermoteknix.co.uk (Ken Hagan) (2004-02-12)
Re: Atomicity block lcargill@worldnet.att.net (Les Cargill) (2004-02-13)
Language design, was Re: Atomicity block joachim.durchholz@web.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2004-02-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Les Cargill <lcargill@worldnet.att.net>
Newsgroups: comp.distributed,comp.programming,comp.compilers
Date: 13 Feb 2004 23:52:49 -0500
Posted-Date: 13 Feb 2004 23:52:49 EST

Ken Hagan wrote:

> Les Cargill wrote:
> >
> > Ada has keywords for atomicity, but Ada didn't do very well in the
> > marketplace. Shame, it's a nice system.
>
> Perhaps someone should make Ada look like C. It can't be that
> hard, since it is only syntax. (I'm thinking of a full compiler
> like Cfront, though a pre-processor might be sufficient to get
> people interested.)
>
> (You know the sort of thing: curly braces, up-its-own-backside
> declaration syntax, overload the angle brackets for generics.)
>
> A "C-like syntax" certainly worked for Java (and C++ before it).

In the sense that a bowl haricut worked for the Rolling Stones...

> Of course, you'd have to give it a new name, such as Ada++, or
> else you'd never be able to market it to the great unwashed.
>
> (No smiley. It was borderline, but on balance I think this is a
> serious suggestion.)

I thnk there really ought to be a moratorium* on languages. I know,
horrors! but it's the Tower of Babel out there as it is...

*Nothing harsh, just a suggestion for the language breeders to
consider the birth control patch...
--
Les Cargill
[It's about 35 years too late. The last interestingly innovative