Generalized parser without generation

moughanj@tcd.ie (James Moughan)
1 Feb 2004 12:58:25 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Generalized parser without generation moughanj@tcd.ie (2004-02-01)
RE: Generalized parser without generation qjackson@shaw.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2004-02-04)
Re: Generalized parser without generation joachim.durchholz@web.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2004-02-04)
Re: Generalized parser without generation derkgwen@HotPOP.com (Derk Gwen) (2004-02-04)
Re: Generalized parser without generation jesjones@mindspring.com (Jesse Jones) (2004-02-04)
Re: Generalized parser without generation pete@restall.net (Peter Restall) (2004-02-04)

From: moughanj@tcd.ie (James Moughan)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Feb 2004 12:58:25 -0500
Posted-Date: 01 Feb 2004 12:58:25 EST

Hi,

A friend of mine has been given a final year project for which his
supervisor wants the above; that is, a program which can read in a
description of a grammar then parse a file using it directly. Users
must be able to add new grammars at any time without compiling. He
has been told that this should be easy to find on the net, but this
doesn't seem to be the case, and I certainly don't believe it. Does
anyone know if such a tool exists, and if so, can they point me in the
right direction?

Thanks,

James Moughan
[Extensible parsers that could add new syntax on the fly were popular in
the 1970s, but I haven't seen any lately. They turned out to be useful
for writing code that nobody could read, but not for much else. -John]