Re: tool suggest vliw compiler

Michael Meissner <mrmnews@the-meissners.org>
22 Jan 2004 23:10:01 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
tool suggest vliw compiler aldeeran@tin.it (alderaan) (2004-01-16)
Re: tool suggest vliw compiler mrmnews@the-meissners.org (Michael Meissner) (2004-01-22)
Re: tool suggest vliw compiler nkavv@skiathos.physics.auth.gr (2004-01-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Michael Meissner <mrmnews@the-meissners.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Jan 2004 23:10:01 -0500
Posted-Date: 22 Jan 2004 23:10:01 EST

alderaan <aldeeran@tin.it> writes:

> Hi, I have to do a compiler for a vliw architecture. I've read about
> two frameworks to make a compiler : Lance and Suif. What is the more
> convenient framework between these ones to develope a VLIW compiler?

I have done several VLIW compiler backends in GCC, so it is certainly
possible to use that as well. I generally did the initial port first,
not worrying about the VLIW-edness of the machine (other than things
like exposed pipelines that you have to get right by filling in NOPs
without doing the heavy scheduling), and then spent the second part of
the project getting the compiler and assembler tuned for the machine.
It depends on what type of constraints you have in the machine whether
the port is easy or hard.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org