call frame address in debug build and normal build

irgei@mueller-tolk.de (Joerg Mueller-Tolk)
12 Jan 2004 13:31:49 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
call frame address in debug build and normal build irgei@mueller-tolk.de (2004-01-12)
Re: call frame address in debug build and normal build google@mueller-tolk.de (2004-01-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: irgei@mueller-tolk.de (Joerg Mueller-Tolk)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Jan 2004 13:31:49 -0500
Posted-Date: 12 Jan 2004 13:31:49 EST

Hi all

I hope you will understand what I mean. I use GNU gcc and gdb. If you
have the address in a release program, where (for example) a
segmentation fault happened. Do you have a chance to find out the
corresponding source line?

If the appropriate flags are set the compiler will insert debug info
into a build. If you have a debug build of a program the answer of
the question above is trivial.

The compiler should be able to generate something like a map file to
resolve addresses to source lines even for release builds.

Can anyone help me if there a tools to get such a relation file for
gcc compiled programs?

thx
Irgei
[The usual technique is to build the program with all the symbols,
make a copy, strip it, and ship it, but keep the original for
crash debugging. -John]