Re: Removing GCC warnings from flex- and bison- generated C code

haberg@matematik.su.se (Hans Aberg)
12 Jan 2004 13:29:32 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Removing GCC warnings from flex- and bison- generated C code zender@uci.edu (Charlie Zender) (2004-01-09)
Re: Removing GCC warnings from flex- and bison- generated C code haberg@matematik.su.se (2004-01-12)
Re: Removing GCC warnings from flex- and bison- generated C code fjh@cs.mu.oz.au (Fergus Henderson) (2004-01-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: haberg@matematik.su.se (Hans Aberg)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Jan 2004 13:29:32 -0500
Posted-Date: 12 Jan 2004 13:29:32 EST

zender@uci.edu wrote:

>I am trying to get a code to compile warning free with GCC so that I
>may use the -Werror option to help find new bugs. The remaining
>warnings in my code all appear to be generated when the lexer and
>parser files are compiled.
>[I hope this is on topic, if not where should I send it?]

These problems should be addressed in:
    Help-flex mailing list
    help-flex@gnu.org

You may, however, be using old versions of Flex/Bison.

>3. Any recommendations for portable ways of eliminating most of these
> warnings would be appreciated. It may be safely assumed that flex
> and bison will always be used to process the .l and .y files.

Bison, and also later versions of Flex I think, have changed to that
output source code files are generated from skeleton files via the
macro program M4. This makes it easy to write ones own new skeleton
files. If you think this is necessary, GNU might be happy if you
donate some code.

    Hans Aberg