Tools for instruction scheduling of POWER4 assembler code

Tommy Hoffner <tommy.hoffner@ericsson.com>
9 Jan 2004 23:34:01 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Tools for instruction scheduling of POWER4 assembler code tommy.hoffner@ericsson.com (Tommy Hoffner) (2004-01-09)
Re: Tools for instruction scheduling of POWER4 assembler code mrmnews@the-meissners.org (Michael Meissner) (2004-01-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Tommy Hoffner <tommy.hoffner@ericsson.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Jan 2004 23:34:01 -0500
Posted-Date: 09 Jan 2004 23:34:01 EST

Hey,
I have a tool that generates assembler code that I use to evaluate some
64 bit platforms.
I would like to schedule the code that comes out from my tool to get a
feeling for what kind of perfomance gains I can get from scheduling the
code. Making my tool generate scheduled code isn't really an option and
all tools I found that does instruction scheduling assumes high level
langueges as input. GNU as does no instruction scheduling and I doubt
that gcc schedules inline assembler, so making my tool generate inline
assembler statements will not help either.
My tool generates thousands of lines of assembler so manually scheduling
is definetly out of the question.

I do not need the best scheduler possible, just something that could
give a good hint on how much scheduling can give us in performance gains
for our applications.

It may not be combined with other optimizations/transformations (if they
    cannot be turned of or ripped out) since my generated code isn't
modelling every aspect of our applications (it generates some defs
without uses for instance, and I don't want those removed etc.)

Anyone out there who knows of any tools that can help me schedule
assembler (or machine code) for POWER4 for some quick and dirty tests.

/Tommy