Re: How to write a virtuel machine and simulator

Peter Cooper <x@boog.co.uk>
18 Nov 2003 18:54:24 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to write a virtuel machine and simulator azoulayi@yahoo.fr (2003-11-11)
Re: How to write a virtuel machine and simulator x@boog.co.uk (Peter Cooper) (2003-11-18)
Re: How to write a virtuel machine and simulator nick.roberts@acm.org (Nick Roberts) (2003-11-21)
Re: How to write a virtuel machine and simulator next54@hotmail.com (John Galt) (2003-11-21)
Re: How to write a virtuel machine and simulator sasulzer@seanet.com (Stephen Sulzer) (2003-12-03)
Re: How to write a virtuel machine and simulator whopkins@csd.uwm.edu (2003-12-03)
Re: How to write a virtual machine and simulator crwfrd@umich.edu (Randy Crawford) (2003-12-07)
Re: How to write a virtual machine and simulator adderd@wmol.com (2003-12-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Peter Cooper <x@boog.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Nov 2003 18:54:24 -0500
Posted-Date: 18 Nov 2003 18:54:24 EST

<azoulayi@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> I want to write a simulator and a virtual machine. I need
> documentation and of course some books that explain how can i do ?
>
> Where Can I Find Some Examples, And Any Code?

With no reservations I recommend "Virtual Machine Design and
Implementation in C/C++" by Bill Blunden (ISBN 1556229038). So good,
it's probably my favorite technical book of all time. It covers all of
the ground elements, dealing with memory, how CPUs work, and builds
step by step to building a complete virtual machine, a debugger, and
relevant APIs.

Away from that, you might like to check out Parrot, at
http://www.parrotcode.org/ . Parrot is a new(ish) virtual machine which is
being designed as the base on which Perl 6 will operate, although other
languages like Ruby and PHP are also looking at targeting it. It's open
source, and you can even dive in and help where you like. Download it, read
all their docs, hack about, and you'll know a lot more than before you
started :-)

Regards,
Peter Cooper