Re: Where to find grammars for...

kamalp@acm.org (Kamal R. Prasad)
1 Sep 2003 23:58:35 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Where to find grammars for... vbdis@aol.com (2003-08-23)
Re: Where to find grammars for... kamalp@acm.org (2003-09-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: kamalp@acm.org (Kamal R. Prasad)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Sep 2003 23:58:35 -0400
Posted-Date: 01 Sep 2003 23:58:35 EDT

> Currently I'm looking at the build process as used for many GNU
> programs. A couple of languages are involved in the overall process,
> starting with the bash (or other shell) grammar, automake,
> configure, m4, make etc.

> Even if all these tools are more or less well described, I would
> like to have more precise grammars for all these languages. Any
> pointers?
> Thanks,
> DoDi
> [There's most of a BNF grammar for bash in its man page. Other than that,
> I doubt there's formal grammars for any of them. -John]

Most of these utilities do not have a formal grammar -but IEEE POSIX
mandates compliance tests for them ie certain syntactic/semantic
pre-requisites [which could be implemented the way the developer
likes]. If you ever wanted to re-write Linux/BSD utilties to include a
formal grammar -you may want to look at IEEE POSIX documents for the
same.

regards
-kamal