Re: Looking for a LL(1) generator

news@lintilla.demon.co.uk (Bob)
26 Jul 2003 21:44:06 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for a LL(1) generator fgagnon@inouii.com (Francois Gagnon) (2003-07-21)
Re: Looking for a LL(1) generator rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers) (2003-07-23)
Re: Looking for a LL(1) generator parag@codegen.com (Parag Patel) (2003-07-25)
Re: Looking for a LL(1) generator news@lintilla.demon.co.uk (2003-07-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: news@lintilla.demon.co.uk (Bob)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Jul 2003 21:44:06 -0400
Posted-Date: 26 Jul 2003 21:44:06 EDT

Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com> wrote

> My master thesis, now many years ago, discusses this approach...
> and details the algorithm to accomplish it. As far as I knew then,
> it was original work... I don't know if this 'corner' has been
> visited by other people...

I also did something similar for a coursework, also around 15 years
ago! In my version I added repetition and alternatives to BNF and the
parser generator added rules as necessary. Unfortunately the generator
remained strictly LL(1) and although I attempted to use the generator
in real applications, adding yacc style embedded code generation,
converting syntax into LL(1) proved too impractical. Having the
generator rewrite non-LL(1) rules is something I should have thought
of, maybe I will add it as I still have the source for the generator.