Re: A microcontroller-centric, target-neutral programming language

"Pete Gray" <petegray@ieee.org>
23 Jul 2003 10:36:20 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
A microcontroller-centric, target-neutral programming language petegray@ieee.org (Pete Gray) (2003-07-15)
Re: A microcontroller-centric, target-neutral programming language mark.piffer@chello.at (2003-07-21)
Re: A microcontroller-centric, target-neutral programming language petegray@ieee.org (Pete Gray) (2003-07-23)
Re: A microcontroller-centric, target-neutral programming langua grante@visi.com (2003-07-25)
Re: UNCOL again, was A microcontroller-centric, target-neutral johnl@iecc.com (2003-07-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Pete Gray" <petegray@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded,comp.compilers
Date: 23 Jul 2003 10:36:20 -0400
Posted-Date: 23 Jul 2003 10:36:20 EDT

Thanks to everyone for the feedback - both via direct email and through the
newsgroups.

Some more info (sorry, but I've been responding to individual emails, rather
than to the group - I don't have newsgroup access from my workplace) ...

Target-neutral in the sense that a generic p-code would be generated, as a
transient state between the high-level language and assembly language.
Target-neutral p-code (or as I refer to it, n-code) to target-specific
assembly code translators would then be created, as required, for each
target. Naturally, the n-code would need to contain enough detailed
information for the "n-code to assembly language translator" to be
effective.

The benefit being the logical and physical separation of the language and
compiler from the target. Adopting this scheme allows all targets to benefit
from enhancements to the language (and compiler) without the need for
target-specific compiler modifications. It removes the need for
target-specific ports of the compiler.

An additional (and significant) benefit to this design is that once a
suitable n-code scheme is adopted, compilers for "other" high-level
languages could be developed to generate n-code. The point here being that
when these new compilers are developed, they will already be able to support
targets for which "n-code to assembly language translators" have been
developed.

Having said all that, the focus of my question was meant to be "Open Source
versus Sponsorship" ... he said, trying to ensure the nature of the original
post isn't bypassed.

Regards,
-Pete