Generating JIT compilers

Jens Troeger <savage@light-speed.de>
2 Jul 2003 00:38:05 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Generating JIT compilers savage@light-speed.de (Jens Troeger) (2003-07-02)
Re: Generating JIT compilers eeide@cs.utah.edu (Eric Eide) (2003-07-04)
Re: Generating JIT compilers lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2003-07-04)
Re: Generating JIT compilers bonzini@gnu.org (2003-07-04)
Re: Generating JIT compilers jens.troeger@light-speed.de (Jens Troeger) (2003-07-13)
Re: Generating JIT compilers bonzini@gnu.org (2003-07-17)
Re: Generating JIT compilers j.troeger@qut.edu.au (Jens Troeger) (2003-07-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jens Troeger <savage@light-speed.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Jul 2003 00:38:05 -0400
Posted-Date: 02 Jul 2003 00:38:05 EDT

hi,

Is There Any Work In The Area Of Generating A Just-In-Time
Compiler From Specifications? Either Parts, The Instruction
Selector And Register Allocator Seem To Be Handcrafted, At
Least I Could Not Find Any Source That States Otherwise.

At The Moment I Tinker Around With Specifications, And How
An Instruction Selector For A JIT Compiler Could Be Generated.
I Think I Will Go For The Template Approach First, I.E. To
Generate A Static Mapping From Source To Target Instructions,
Which Is Used At Runtime To Emit The Target Instructions.
But Before I Reinvent The Wheel... Is Anybody Aware Of Such
Work?

Cheers,
Jens

--
Jens Tröger Ph: +61 7 3864-9342
Programming Languages & Systems Research Centre