FIRST function computation problem.

mefrill@yandex.ru (Vladimir)
22 Jun 2003 23:18:16 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
FIRST function computation problem. mefrill@yandex.ru (2003-06-22)
Re: FIRST function computation problem. derkgwen@HotPOP.com (Derk Gwen) (2003-07-02)
Re: FIRST function computation problem. torbenm@diku.dk (2003-07-02)
Re: FIRST function computation problem. haberg@matematik.su.se (2003-07-02)
Re: FIRST function computation problem. soenke.kannapinn@wincor-nixdorf.com (=?Windows-1252?Q?S=F6nke_Kannapinn?=) (2003-07-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mefrill@yandex.ru (Vladimir)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Jun 2003 23:18:16 -0400
Posted-Date: 22 Jun 2003 23:18:16 EDT

Hi,

I have a problem with FIRST function for 1 lookahead symbol evalation.
To lookup such the symbols for some nonterminal A I am doning follows:

1. go through all rules that left part is A. Here I do following:
a) If I have rule A --> aB, where a is terminal. I just add this
terminal to lookahead set for A.
b) If I have rule A --> e, where e is epsilon, I add e to lookahead
set for A.
c) If I have rule A --> B C ... where B - nonterminal, I at first
compute the lookahead set for B, if B's lookahead set contains
epsilon, check C and etc. I found that recursive function here is the
best. But I do not know how to work with rules like follows: A --> B,
B --> C A D... To compute lookahead set for A I have to at first
compute lookaheads for B, but if lookaheads for C contain epsilon I
need to know the same about A to understand do checking of D or
not...

Please, help to decide this problem and there may be the good FIRTS
computaion algorithm?

Thanks,
Vladimir.