Textbook for teaching

paisley@talk21.com
20 Jun 2003 00:01:56 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Textbook for teaching paisley@talk21.com (2003-06-20)
Re: Textbook for teaching bobduff@TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2003-06-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: paisley@talk21.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Jun 2003 00:01:56 -0400
Posted-Date: 20 Jun 2003 00:01:56 EDT

Greetings,

I know this question comes up once in a while, and there is an
excellent description of textbooks in the FAQ for comp.compilers,
but...

I will be teaching an undergraduate module on compilers next academic
year and would like some opinions on current choices for books. I've
been using Grune et al for the last couple of years -- and have been
impressed by the very helpful authors -- but the students have found
it hard going and I think the pseudo-code is difficult to read. I now
have a second edition of Appel's book and Watt and Brown, both of
which rely on code in Java, and which seem very current. I confess I
am still partial to the Dragon book, for clarity as well as for the
use of attribute grammars and 3-address code (which I think are
clearer and easier to understand) but maybe these techniques are
passe'?

Could anyone share opinions and experiences on the use of these texts
for teaching? I can summarise and post here if people prefer sending
me email.

Many thanks, - Sara
[The FAQ could use capsule reviews of some more recent books. Feel
free to send them in. -John]