Re: simple vs complex languages

Jack Crenshaw <jcrens@earthlink.net>
24 May 2003 20:07:47 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: simple vs complex languages dot@dotat.at (Tony Finch) (2003-05-16)
Re: simple vs complex languages tenger@iSeries-guru.com (Terrence Enger) (2003-05-16)
Re: simple vs complex languages alexc@std.com (Alex Colvin) (2003-05-16)
Re: simple vs complex languages eas-lab@absamail.co.za (2003-05-18)
Re: simple vs complex languages jcrens@earthlink.net (Jack Crenshaw) (2003-05-24)
Re: simple vs complex languages nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2003-05-29)
Re: simple vs complex languages hat@se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl (Albert Hofkamp) (2003-05-29)
Re: simple vs complex languages zivca@netvision.net.il (2003-05-29)
Re: simple vs complex languages vbdis@aol.com (2003-06-03)

From: Jack Crenshaw <jcrens@earthlink.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 May 2003 20:07:47 -0400
Posted-Date: 24 May 2003 20:07:47 EDT

Albert Hofkamp wrote:

<snip>
> > right. Can you guess I like Pascal, which was designed from the outset
> > for a single pass RDP?
>
> There is a big didactic problem with Pscal imho. The language pushes
> the top-down design approach, yet I have to write my program
> bottom-up. I think that is a very big compromise for ease of parsing.

With respect, that dog won't hunt. I've been hearing this complaint
for decades, but I still don't buy it.

I presume you're talking about the requirement in classical Pascal
that requires a function to be declared before it's referenced. Duh!
What else would anyone expect?

C used to allow functions to be declared later in the code than the
calls to them. It doesn't, anymore. Today we use prototypes, which is
a whole lot better deal. Pascal also allows prototypes -- otherwise
one could never do forward references. So why is one language
superior to the other in this respect? How is it that Pascal forces
you to "write .. bottom-up," where C does not???

As for me, I have a screen editor. I am perfectly capable of going to
the bottom of the file instead of the top, if I want to write the main
program first. It only takes one press of Ctrl-End. I think I can
manage that.

I think you are confusing the design/development approaches of
software engineering with language syntax features. There is no
reason one cannot do top-down design in Pascal, C, Forth, or any other
language.

Good luck, however, trying to execute the main program before you've
defined its subroutines.

Jack
[In the versions of Lisp that I know, a function doesn't have to be
declared or defined until its called. That can make development a lot
easier. -John]