Re: Making a partial C compiler

Matt Rosing <matt@peakfive.com>
24 May 2003 16:57:28 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Making a partial C compiler cyberheg@l115.langkaer.dk (John Eskie) (2003-05-18)
Re: Making a partial C compiler torbenm@diku.dk (2003-05-23)
Re: Making a partial C compiler matt@peakfive.com (Matt Rosing) (2003-05-24)
Re: Making a partial C compiler blackmarlin@asean-mail.com (2003-05-24)
Re: Making a partial C compiler idbaxter@semdesigns.com (2003-05-24)
Re: Making a partial C compiler cyberheg@l115.langkaer.dk (John Eskie) (2003-05-29)
Re: Making a partial C compiler vbdis@aol.com (2003-06-03)
Re: Making a partial C compiler lars@bearnip.com (2003-06-03)
Re: Making a partial C compiler boldyrev@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru (Ivan Boldyrev) (2003-06-03)

From: Matt Rosing <matt@peakfive.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 May 2003 16:57:28 -0400
Posted-Date: 24 May 2003 16:57:28 EDT

If you just want something that will take all identifiers in a set of
files and replace them with something like x3579 and then remove white
space then you don't need to parse it. Just do lexical analysis and
look at each token. Keywords go straight through. Identifiers not used
in external libraries go through. Other identifiers need to not get
"munged". This is a pain but I have a 60k line program and it only
took an hour or so to figure out what the external identifiers
are. The linker complains until you find them all.

I have something that works for C, just let me know if you want it and I
can send it to you.

Matt