origin of "panic mode"

Carl Cerecke <cdc@maxnet.co.nz>
13 Apr 2003 12:38:05 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
origin of "panic mode" cdc@maxnet.co.nz (Carl Cerecke) (2003-04-13)
Re: origin of "panic mode" jjan@cs.rug.nl (J.H.Jongejan) (2003-04-15)
Re: origin of "panic mode" stan@zaborowski.org (Stan Zaborowski) (2003-04-15)
Re: origin of "panic mode" bear@sonic.net (2003-04-20)
Re: origin of "panic mode" nworth@earthlink.net (Norman Worth) (2003-05-16)
Re: origin of "panic mode" postmaster@paul.washington.dc.us (Paul Robinson) (2003-06-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Carl Cerecke <cdc@maxnet.co.nz>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Apr 2003 12:38:05 -0400
Posted-Date: 13 Apr 2003 12:38:04 EDT

Where does the term "panic mode" (as in the syntax error recovery
scheme, rather than the state one is in when trying to meet a thesis
deadline :-) originate?

Most papers/chapters on syntax error recovery, if they mention "panic
mode", have no associated citation.

The earliest citation I've seen is that "Production compilers from the
sixties such as that for XPL (McKeeman, Horning and Wortman, 1970)
traditionally use a form of error recovery call 'panic mode'. " quoted
from a paper by J. Dain. in 1989.

McKeeman et. al. wrote a book "A Compiler Generator", Prentice-Hall,
1970. It is available via Amazon, but I'd rather not buy it. The poor
exchange rate coupled with the freight costs to New Zealand along with
the possibility that it might not be useful anyway mean I'm not going
to buy it online.

In any case, it would be good to be able to cite the source of the
term "panic mode" if anybody knows what it is.

Cheers,
Carl.