Re: DFA transition table reduction by alphabet reduction.

"Glen Herrmannsfeldt" <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
14 Mar 2003 11:38:12 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DFA transition table reduction by alphabet reduction. criis@tyr.diku.dk (Christian Riis) (2003-02-21)
Re: DFA transition table reduction by alphabet reduction. clint@0lsen.net (Clint Olsen) (2003-02-24)
Re: DFA transition table reduction by alphabet reduction. criis@ivalde.diku.dk (Christian Riis) (2003-03-09)
Re: DFA transition table reduction by alphabet reduction. gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (Glen Herrmannsfeldt) (2003-03-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Glen Herrmannsfeldt" <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Mar 2003 11:38:12 -0500
Posted-Date: 14 Mar 2003 11:38:12 EST

"Christian Riis" <criis@ivalde.diku.dk> wrote in message
(snip on rewriting DFA's with a smaller alphabet and more states)

> Yes well, I'm writing a project about the method I have described
> above. As such I don't care much how well it performs but in the
> theoretical "virtues" of the method I have selected. It could
> revolutionize the world of lexer generation og suck immensely and it
> would all be the same to me, although I would prefer the former
> alternative. :) As far as I can see re2c bears only a slight
> resemblence to what I'm interested in (i.e. the part about range
> tests). It appears to me to be a relatively straightforward lexer
> generator whose strength lies in generality.

It will take twice as many state transitions to get anywhere, but the
table might be smaller.

I once was writing DFA for an alphabet size of four. I considered
increasing that to a power of four so that transitions would be
faster. The table grows too fast, though.

I did once run a DFA with a table of nearly 1GB (on a 2GB machine).
Four byte pointers and four per state, so about 60M states. With no
locality the processor cache didn't help at all, so it ran at memory
speed.

I would say it should be done when memory is more expensive than processor
cycles.

-- glen