Re: Accent compiler compiler?

Albert Hofkamp <hat@se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl>
21 Jan 2003 00:16:52 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What is the Simplest Programming Language? merosonox@yahoo.com (merosonox) (2003-01-04)
Re: What is the Simplest Programming Language? bonzini@gnu.org (2003-01-07)
Re: What is the Simplest Programming Language? eliotm@pacbell.net (Eliot Miranda) (2003-01-12)
Accent compiler compiler? hugo-rozas@iespana.es (Hugo Rozas) (2003-01-17)
Re: Accent compiler compiler? glouis@univ-lr.fr (Georges LOUIS) (2003-01-21)
Re: Accent compiler compiler? hat@se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl (Albert Hofkamp) (2003-01-21)
Re: Accent compiler compiler? clint@0lsen.net (Clint Olsen) (2003-01-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Albert Hofkamp <hat@se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Jan 2003 00:16:52 -0500
Posted-Date: 21 Jan 2003 00:16:52 EST

On 17 Jan 2003 20:02:21 -0500, Hugo Rozas <hugo-rozas@iespana.es> wrote:
> Hi to All
>
> use flex and bison, but surfing the web found this compiler compiler :
> Accent. What i like about it, is; It seems relative small and simple and
> has some advantages over Yacc. The problem is that it's a little
> unknown and I don't know if it really works and if it's bug free.
> Have anyone used it and can recommend it?

I used it as syntax checker, i.e. without adding actions to build an AST.
The parser itself does seem to work, but I got a huge list of compiler
warnings (I always compile code with -Wall) from the generated parser C
code.
The main concern was/is not so much the warnings themselves (they are
fairly trivial problems), but the fact that after adding my own code,
warnings from my code would probably drown in the flood.
I reported this fact over 1 year ago.

Last december, I looked again at Accent, and the same version as 1
year ago is still distributed. Maintenance of Accent seems to
happening very slowly.

If you intend to use Accent to build an AST, you either
- compile the parser code without checking for warnings (i.e. no -Wall),
- live with the flood of warnings when compiling with -Wall, or
- fix the problem before using Accent (the source of Accent as well as the
    construction toolkit used to build Accent are freely available).

Albert