help understand Waite & Goos

"Rafal Michalski" <rmichalski@era.pl>
12 Jan 2003 17:59:29 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
help understand Waite & Goos rmichalski@era.pl (Rafal Michalski) (2003-01-12)
Re: help understand Waite & Goos juergen@informatik-vollmer.de (=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Dr=2E_J=FCrgen_Vollmer?=) (2003-01-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Rafal Michalski" <rmichalski@era.pl>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Jan 2003 17:59:29 -0500
Posted-Date: 12 Jan 2003 17:59:29 EST

Need some help to understand Waite and Goos "Compiler Construction"
formalism. Obviously these may be lamer's questions of computer
science - is there more suitable group? - but from mathematician's
point of view, things go unclear at EBNF introduction in 5.1.4.

First, it appears to me in Fig. 5.8
as if the set T was the sum of the following sets:
  - set of identifiers
  - set of literals
  - {is, or, lpn, rpn, lbk, rbk, plus, star, period, separator}
instead of being sum of sets
  - {identifier} (one-element set)
  - {literal} (one-element set)
  - {is, or, lpn, rpn, lbk, rbk, plus, star, period, separator}
?

Second, what is "set of unique identifiers", how it can be disjoint
from the set of identifiers an literals appearing in the
specification? Please help me see both sets L, I in Fig. 5.8c.

Greats
Rafal Michalski