Re: Parser theory resources

Andreas Gieriet <andreas.gieriet@externsoft.ch>
7 Jan 2003 23:31:08 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parser theory resources joeri.vankelst@softhome.be (Joeri Vankelst) (2003-01-04)
Re: Parser theory resources Martin.Waldenburg@T-Online.de (Martin Waldenburg) (2003-01-07)
Re: Parser theory resources andreas.gieriet@externsoft.ch (Andreas Gieriet) (2003-01-07)
Re: Parser theory resources simonb@webone.com.au (Simon Burton) (2003-01-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Andreas Gieriet <andreas.gieriet@externsoft.ch>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Jan 2003 23:31:08 -0500
Posted-Date: 07 Jan 2003 23:31:08 EST

Joeri,

I assume you are talking about visitor PATTERN.
The visitor pattern is not directly used for parsing the data.
It may be used to traverse the syntax tree that is created by the parser.

E.g., for a specific application, I've once implemented a verilog parser
in C++: each class parsed itself and created in this way a syntax tree of the
given verilog data.
For linking the syntax tree (resolving names) and for semantic checks,
I employed the visitor pattern.

Not a theoretical explanation, though ;-)

HTH

Andi

--
Andreas Gieriet mailto:andreas.gieriet@externsoft.ch