Re: PL/M or C or Ada cross compiler on Vax or Solaris or Windows for Intel 80186

Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk (Martin Ward)
19 Dec 2002 12:30:20 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: PL/M or C or Ada cross compiler on Vax or Solaris or Windows for lars@bearnip.com (2002-12-13)
Re: PL/M or C or Ada cross compiler on Vax or Solaris or Windows for Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk (2002-12-19)
Re: PL/M or C or Ada cross compiler on Vax or Solaris or Windows for josejuanmr@lycos.es (2002-12-19)
Re: PL/M or C or Ada cross compiler on Vax or Solaris or Windows for PBgeek@att.net (Bob Sheff) (2002-12-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk (Martin Ward)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Dec 2002 12:30:20 -0500
Posted-Date: 19 Dec 2002 12:30:20 EST

> Domain: Embedded Systems
>
> Our Requirement: Migration of a development environment from VAX/VMS
> 5.5 platform to either Unix or any other suitable platform.
> ... Request to provide us
> some pointers/help in the availability of the following:
> 1) ASM/PLM 186 cross compilers on Unix/Windows/DOS
> 2) ASM, PLM to C or Ada converters
> 3) Cross compilers for C and Ada on Unix/Windows/DOS for 80186

I am currently in the middle of an 80186 to C migration project
for a telecoms company. The system is a PABX running on four
different hardware platforms in 18 different countries.
It consists of over 540,000 lines of assembler and about 250,000
lines of C. The aim of the project is to migrate all of the assembler
code to high-level, structured, maintainable C code.

I wrote a 80186 to WSL translator and a WSL to C translator and used
FermaT's powerful restructuring and simplification transformations
to turn the very low level WSL generated by the assembler to WSL
translator into high level WSL suitable for direct translation to C.

The FermaT transformation system uses formal proven program
transformations, which preserve or refine the semantics of a program
while changing its form. These transformations are applied to restructure
and simplify legacy systems and to extract higher-level representations.
By using an appropriate sequence of transformations, the extracted
representation is guaranteed to be equivalent to the original code logic.
See my web site for papers on FermaT, the transformation theory,
and assembler to C migration:
http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/martin/papers/

FermaT runs on many Unix and Windows systems.

So far we have completed the first stage of the project:
migration of a "mini call centre" consisting of about 67,000 lines
of assembler. The migrated code was compiled and loaded onto
the system and worked perfectly. As a result, we are very confident
in sucessfully completing the project!

The customer is very pleased with the C code we produce
(typical comment: "Hey, this really looks like C!")

Martin

Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/