Re: Approaches to code formatters

"Alex K. Angelopoulos" <aka@mvps.org>
3 Dec 2002 00:39:05 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Approaches to code formatters pioter@terramail.CUTTHIS.pl (Piotr Zgorecki) (2002-12-01)
Re: Approaches to code formatters aka@mvps.org (Alex K. Angelopoulos) (2002-12-03)
Re: Approaches to code formatters nmh@t3x.org (Nils M Holm) (2002-12-03)
Re: Approaches to code formatters idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2002-12-03)
Re: Approaches to code formatters root@candle.pha.pa.us (2002-12-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Alex K. Angelopoulos" <aka@mvps.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Dec 2002 00:39:05 -0500
Posted-Date: 03 Dec 2002 00:39:05 EST

Oh, goody... a question I might have an answer to... <g>

Here's an alternate approach which you might want to consider, which
completely ignores standard tokenizing and lexing techniques. I had
to use it recently for prettifying VBScript, which suffers from a host
of hereditary syntactic diseases - and there are no decent general
lexers out there for it anyway.

What I did was to simply read in code fragments, then normalize them
all: by text massaging, you can kill all of the initial and final
whitespace in lines, and strip out all internal blank lines.

The initial result of this is a block-o-code, but the nice thing about
it is that it allows you to start from a known state. You can then
very easily use regular expressions to break out functions and
internal structures, and format each chunk according to your
standards, without worrying about how the original programmer laid it
out.