Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible...

"Joachim Durchholz" <joachim_d@gmx.de>
7 Nov 2002 00:49:57 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... socrates171@yahoo.com (socrates) (2002-11-06)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2002-11-07)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2002-11-07)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... vugluskr@unicorn.math.spbu.ru (Roman Shaposhnick) (2002-11-07)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... gsc@zip.com.au (Sean Case) (2002-11-08)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... stanley.chow@cloakware.com (Stanley Chow) (2002-11-08)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... vbdis@aol.com (VBDis) (2002-11-08)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... gopi@sankhya.com (Gopi Bulusu) (2002-11-08)
Re: Building a translator. Want to know if this is feasible... JeffKenton@attbi.com (Jeff Kenton) (2002-11-08)

From: "Joachim Durchholz" <joachim_d@gmx.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Nov 2002 00:49:57 -0500
Posted-Date: 07 Nov 2002 00:49:57 EST

socrates wrote:

> Now my "pending task" will be to make a translator that converts this
> dead language to an object-oriented language like java.

Straightforward conversion is simple: compile a program into a single
Java class.
Analysing the programs and (somehow) inferring a suitable class
structure is impossible; some parts of that would involve reading the
mind of the programmer who produced the code (who is probably not
available anyway).
Real programmers and Fortran-to-any-language translators will write
Fortran programmers in any language... if you want the programs
improved, you'll have to analyze them and create a better design. And
design is one of the processes that can't be automated.

> What I have is very minimal. No compiler for the dead language, no
> text books, only one reference manual and hundreds of program codes
> that used the dead language.

There may be problems if you misinterpret the reference manual. Or if
the reference manual is incorrect but the compilers weren't. Or the
programs were tweaked around the bugs some given compiler.
So, having a compiler would be a definite bonus. Since that's not the
case, you're in for some hefty testing.

Regards,
Joachim