merging object files

"Richard Urwin" <rurwin@schenck.co.uk>
22 Sep 2002 12:21:31 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
merging object files rurwin@schenck.co.uk (Richard Urwin) (2002-09-22)
Re: merging object files rurwin@schenck.co.uk (Richard Urwin) (2002-09-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Richard Urwin" <rurwin@schenck.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Sep 2002 12:21:31 -0400
Posted-Date: 22 Sep 2002 12:21:31 EDT

Many years ago I was using the Intel compiler suite to merge object
files, resolving all the symbols that that process implies, but
possibly leaving other unresolved symbols, into a new object file.

Now I find I want to do the same thing again, but the world has moved
on. The MS linker will only output DLL or EXE format, the Intel
compiler uses the MS linker, and even the GCC doesn't admit to the
capability.

I am on a WIN32 platform using Visual Studio .NET, but producing
object files without platform or library involvement. I supose the 16
to 32 bit switch may have confused the issue, but I suspect that the
files are still in Intel Object Format.

Does anyone have any hints, suggestions, pointers etc.?

Thanks,
--
Richard Urwin, Software Desing Engineer
Scheck Test Automation