Compiler theory terminology

"Jan.Hidders" <hidders@hcoss.uia.ac.be>
23 Aug 2002 11:15:11 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler theory terminology hidders@hcoss.uia.ac.be (Jan.Hidders) (2002-08-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Jan.Hidders" <hidders@hcoss.uia.ac.be>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Aug 2002 11:15:11 -0400
Posted-Date: 23 Aug 2002 11:15:10 EDT

Dear compiler experts,

I have some questions about terminology:

- When is a parser exactly an LL parser? Must it be table based (like LR
    parsers always are) or is it enough if it just is a top-down parser that
    produces a leftmost derivation?

- When is a parser a recursive-descent parser? Do there have to be recursive
    procedures for each nonterminal, or is a nonrecursive equivalent also Ok?
    (See for example the definition in FOLDOC)

I'm asking this because I've been writing what little I know about
compiler theory in Wikipedia (www.wikipedia.org), an on-line
encyclopedia that is open, i.e., it falls under the GNU free
documentation license. Obviously it is important to have a correct
definition of terminology there. If you also want to contribute to
this encyclopedia (to correct my mistakes, for example, or just to
show off how much you know about compilers) you can do so right away;
anybody can edit anything in this encyclopedia. Just go to

    http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/LL_parser

and click on "edit this page".

Kind regards,

-- Jan Hidders