Re: Coco/r tutorial ?

"Clint Olsen" <clint@0lsen.net>
23 Aug 2002 11:06:59 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Coco/r tutorial ? no@mail.com (Capitaine Caverne) (2002-08-14)
Re: Coco/r tutorial ? clint@0lsen.net (Clint Olsen) (2002-08-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Clint Olsen" <clint@0lsen.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Aug 2002 11:06:59 -0400
Posted-Date: 23 Aug 2002 11:06:59 EDT

Capitaine Caverne wrote:
> Where can I find good tutorials that can be used even when using Coco/r ?
> I mean with a lot of examples... I allready have the ebook from P Terry.

For whatever reason (probably YACC), most of the texts out there deals
with LALR(1) style parser generators rather than the LL(1). There are
quite a few examples shipped with Coco/R. You should take a look at
the 'coco.use' and the language spec 'cocol'. The manpage is also
helpful.

Be aware that most LL parser generators are intolerant of left
recursion commonly used to avoid stack explosion in yacc-based
grammars. It's also important to note that semantic actions for yacc
are not processed until after the entire rule is reduced, which is not
necessarily the case with top-down parsers.

Good luck.

-Clint