Re: use of vtbl

"Hans Aberg" <haberg@matematik.su.se>
14 Aug 2002 02:16:14 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
use of vtbl Michael.Bantle@t-systems.de (Michael BANTLE) (2001-08-06)
Re: use of vtbl fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (2001-08-08)
Re: use of vtbl zoicasc@hotmail.com (Cristian Zoicas) (2002-08-04)
Re: use of vtbl gdr@soliton.integrable-solutions.net (Gabriel Dos Reis) (2002-08-10)
Re: use of vtbl mal@wyrd.be (Lieven Marchand) (2002-08-10)
Re: use of vtbl bill@gibbons.org (Bill Gibbons) (2002-08-10)
Re: use of vtbl haberg@matematik.su.se (Hans Aberg) (2002-08-14)
Re: use of vtbl loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de (Martin v. =?iso-8859-1?q?L=F6wis?=) (2002-08-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Hans Aberg" <haberg@matematik.su.se>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Aug 2002 02:16:14 -0400
Posted-Date: 14 Aug 2002 02:16:13 EDT

The moderator groused:
>[Yes, I said they didn't define the vtbl. Evidently whoever told me
>they considered doing so lied to me. -John]

It is quite possible that such a thing might have been considered but
rejected, as knowledge about the underlying binary structure is
sometimes needed, for example in distributed programming (or rather,
how to translate via a common binary common model). The current C++
standard does not include anything about the underlying binary
implementation expect, C style, some limits (including the size of the
bytes).

But the distributed programming support part is now a task for the
next C++ revision. So it may happen that such questions about the
underlying binary model moves up on the agenda.

As for the vtbl, the C++ standard does not mention it, and thus one is
free to choose another implementation.

    Hans Aberg * Anti-spam: remove "remove." from email address.
                                    * Email: Hans Aberg <remove.haberg@member.ams.org>
                                    * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>