regular expressions and the anchors

"Cristian Zoicas" <zoicasc@hotmail.com>
10 Aug 2002 02:05:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
regular expressions and the anchors zoicasc@hotmail.com (Cristian Zoicas) (2002-08-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Cristian Zoicas" <zoicasc@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Aug 2002 02:05:02 -0400
Posted-Date: 10 Aug 2002 02:05:02 EDT

Hello all

I need some suggestions in implementing the anchors (^, $) present in
almost all the implementions of regular expressions. I'm working at a
scanner and I feel somehow dificult to implement them.
More... implementing them I'll decrease efficiency of the scanner and
I don't want this, because some code will be reused in other scanners.

Wouldn't be better if I'll not implement them in the scanner and I'll
make a check after the scanning to see if a particulat token appear at
the beginning or the end of the line ?

Any suggestion, references to some papers published in various
journals/books will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Cristian Zoicas