Re: determining which bin contains which string

"VBDis" <vbdis@aol.com>
10 Aug 2002 02:00:55 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
determining which bin contains which string partha@berkeley.innomedia.com (Partha Saha) (2002-08-04)
Re: determining which bin contains which string vbdis@aol.com (VBDis) (2002-08-10)
Re: determining which bin contains which string ralph@inputplus.co.uk (Ralph Corderoy) (2002-08-14)
Re: determining which bin contains which string jakacki@hotmail.com (Grzegorz Jakacki) (2002-08-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "VBDis" <vbdis@aol.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Aug 2002 02:00:55 -0400
Posted-Date: 10 Aug 2002 02:00:55 EDT

"Partha Saha" <partha@berkeley.innomedia.com> schreibt:

>I would also like to dynamically alter the FSM as N->N+1, i.e., as new
>strings get added to our set. and put into a certain bin (we cannot
>predict which bin that would be).
>
>I would also like to dynamically alter the FSM as n->n+1, i.e., as new
>bins are added (but the contents of the previous bins are left
>unaltered).

IMO this all will mean that only the non-accepting state of the
previous automaton can be modified. Otherwise you risk after a
modification of the FSM to "hash" duplicate strings into different
bins. Much more can not be said unless you supply further information
on the source (distribution...) and usage of the binned strings.

Your problem looks to me like the construction of an "balanced tree",
perhaps you find useful information with this key? If this is not your
goal, you can also look for "hash" algorithms.

DoDi