Cross-level optimization

"Nikolai Mikhailov" <NickM@astrosoft.ru>
15 Jul 2002 23:49:19 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Cross-level optimization NickM@astrosoft.ru (Nikolai Mikhailov) (2002-07-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Nikolai Mikhailov" <NickM@astrosoft.ru>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Jul 2002 23:49:19 -0400
Posted-Date: 15 Jul 2002 23:49:17 EDT

Algorithm for determinig common-subexpression is well-known, but in case of
presence 20 different common-subexpressions with sophisticated relations we
should decide which to eliminate.
Also depend on target machines some subexpressions should be eliminated and
other shouldn't.
[Example]
x = a + 4 * b;
y = a + 4 * b;

In some machene it would be a good practice to calculate (a+b) only once,
but it produce 3 assignment vs 2 in sample.
The problem is to taking into account target-specific during hi-level
optimization.
This is a common problem but I havn't found any reference for this theme.

I'm working on such algorithm and looking for any literature about this
theme (preferable in e-form) for comparing.

Best regards,
Nikolay Mikhaylov
Astrosoft Research Lab.