functional script-language - references ?

"Steve Simon" <steve.simon@ntlworld.com>
12 May 2002 00:08:32 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
functional script-language - references ? steve.simon@ntlworld.com (Steve Simon) (2002-05-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Steve Simon" <steve.simon@ntlworld.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.functional
Date: 12 May 2002 00:08:32 -0400
Posted-Date: 12 May 2002 00:08:32 EDT

Hi,

I am trying to write a little bit of lex & yacc to parse
simple expressions eg:
          output = (input1 + input2 ) * input3

Into a set of calls to setup a process network in the form of a unix
pipeline.

I can cope with the Unix systemcall part, I have a fair (but not
extensive) knowledge of lex and yacc and have got as far as parsing
the input data into a parse tree. I can then taverse this to produce
infix or postfix forms of the expression (first year undergrad
problem, I know :-)

How to go about modifying this to produce a set of processes connected by
pipes is where I'am stuck.

I hope to go on eventually to optimising the parse tree, first to
remove constant expressions, and then to implement super-operators (eg
add,mul,add) processes that can combine several simple processes into
a single heavier weight one - to try to prevent the task switching and
buffering overhead from dominanting the real-work CPU time.

Sorry if this is a dumb question and everyone here finds it simple but
I'am an electronics major and so some simple computer science concepts
(parsing) are a bit beyond me...

Any help, references, sourcecode examples etc greatfully received.

Thanks,

-Steve Steve DOT Simon AT ntlworld DOT com