Re: Efficient Implementation of Guarded Commands

Joachim Durchholz <joachim_d@gmx.de>
17 Apr 2002 23:16:39 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Efficient Implementation of Guarded Commands pfroehli@ics.uci.edu (Peter H. Froehlich) (2002-04-16)
Re: Efficient Implementation of Guarded Commands joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2002-04-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Joachim Durchholz <joachim_d@gmx.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Apr 2002 23:16:39 -0400
Posted-Date: 17 Apr 2002 23:16:39 EDT

Peter H. Froehlich wrote:
> Does anyone know of papers, technical reports, books (?) that describe
> the efficient implementation (read "compilation") of guarded commands?

I think the main problem is identifying common subexpressions in the
guards. Once you have them, you can topologically sort the guards (A < B
iff all subexpressions of A are also used in B).
Identifying common subexpressions should be a common algorithmic
optimization, but I don't know how this is done.

Regards,
Joachim