Re: abstract machine design

andi@complang.tuwien.ac.at (Andreas Krall)
13 Apr 2002 23:09:05 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
abstract machine design abate@students.cs.unibo.it (Pietro Abate) (2002-04-10)
Re: abstract machine design bmd@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Bart Demoen) (2002-04-13)
Re: abstract machine design adamo@dblab.ece.ntua.gr (Yiorgos Adamopoulos) (2002-04-13)
Re: abstract machine design andi@complang.tuwien.ac.at (2002-04-13)
Re: abstract machine design torbenm@sjofn.diku.dk (2002-04-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: andi@complang.tuwien.ac.at (Andreas Krall)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Apr 2002 23:09:05 -0400
Posted-Date: 13 Apr 2002 23:09:05 EDT

Pietro Abate <abate@students.cs.unibo.it> writes:
> Hi everybody.
>
> I'm working on the specification of an abstract machine for a
> logic-based programming language. Since now, I've found only two
> interesting projects: TARSKI, that is the abstract machine used by
> TIM, and WAM, that is the prolog abstract machine. However I've not
> still found any scientific papers or web sites to have a general idea
> of how an abstract machine should be designed.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestion/pointer ?
>
> .... and another question: where can I find the WAM description/reference
> manual ?

There is also the Vienna Abstract Machine. The related articles can
be found on my home page. Additionally there is:

@ARTICLE{Krall96,
AUTHOR = {Andreas Krall},
TITLE = {The {Vienna Abstract Machine}},
JOURNAL = {Journal of Logic Programming},
PUBLISHER = {Elsevier},
VOLUME = {29(1-3)},
PAGES = {85--106},
YEAR = 1996}

There is the ALF abstract machine:

www.informatik.uni-kiel.de/~mh/systems/ALF.html

A good description of the WAM is the book

Warren's Abstract Machine: A Tutorial Reconstruction
by Hassan Aït-Kaci. Since it is out of print the .ps or .pdf
files can be downloaded for private use.

--
andi@complang.tuwien.ac.at Andreas Krall
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/andi/ Inst. f. Computersprachen, TU Wien