simple parser for generic data format - newbie

cheluvi@yahoo.com (v.nagasrinivas)
6 Apr 2002 23:45:28 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
simple parser for generic data format - newbie cheluvi@yahoo.com (2002-04-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: cheluvi@yahoo.com (v.nagasrinivas)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Apr 2002 23:45:28 -0500
Posted-Date: 06 Apr 2002 23:45:28 EST

Hi,

  I am quite new to "parser/compiler" world...

  Whats the best tool / utility availabe in OpenSource world for
writing a program which can parse & validate data contained in a file.

  Example could be XML format but I don't need most of the XML
functionality, all I need is a validate and parse / tree
representation of the data contained in the file.

  I know this can be hand coded but I am short of time.

  Dont know if YACC and LEX can help me - they appeared more like small
language parsers rather than data parser/validator.

  I am currently exploring how parser in "sudo" package EBNF works and
if it's reusable ? just started...