Re: Is global optimization worth it?

Rinie Kervel <rinie@xs4all.nl>
6 Feb 2002 23:31:34 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Is global optimization worth it? lex@cc.gatech.edu (Lex Spoon) (2001-12-20)
Re: Is global optimization worth it? lance.delahaye@xtra.co.nz (2002-01-24)
Re: Is global optimization worth it? nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2002-01-24)
Re: Is global optimization worth it? rinie@xs4all.nl (Rinie Kervel) (2002-01-28)
Re: Is global optimization worth it? nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2002-01-30)
Re: Is global optimization worth it? rinie@xs4all.nl (Rinie Kervel) (2002-02-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Rinie Kervel <rinie@xs4all.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Feb 2002 23:31:34 -0500
Posted-Date: 06 Feb 2002 23:31:34 EST

Nick Maclaren wrote:

> safely. In C, you cannot, because of the aliasing problems - hence
> the need for global optimisation to detect such aliasing.
>
> Even larger gains on modern systems come from things like operand
> preloading, but let's consider just register use. It isn't unusual
> for a C code not to be able to make use of more than a few registers
> because everything has to be in memory over every function call.
> Global optimisation can remove most of that constraint, and allow the
> use of (say) 20 registers where only 4 could be used before.

Again, I think this is mostly theoretical. If you use local variables and
parameters instead of ugly globals this is not much of a problem. Register
allocation etc provide much gain in loops that are in most real programs
quite simple and don't use 16 globals, or 20 registers at all.

Regards,
        Rinie Kervel