Re: 4GL language design, was Writing a recursive descent parser in C

Rajat Datta <rajat@austin.rr.com>
29 Dec 2001 13:25:55 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Writing a recursive descent parser in C bilbo@volcanomail.com (2001-11-29)
Re: Writing a recursive descent parser in C spinoza1111@yahoo.com (2001-12-03)
Re: Writing a recursive descent parser in C lingolanguage@hotmail.com (Bill Rayer) (2001-12-07)
Re: 4GL language design, was Writing a recursive descent parser in C spinoza1111@yahoo.com (2001-12-09)
Re: 4GL language design, was Writing a recursive descent parser in C alexc@world.std.com (2001-12-11)
Re: 4GL language design, was Writing a recursive descent parser in david.thompson1@worldnet.att.net (David Thompson) (2001-12-27)
Re: 4GL language design, was Writing a recursive descent parser in C pcc@ecet.vtc.edu (Peter) (2001-12-29)
Re: 4GL language design, was Writing a recursive descent parser in C rajat@austin.rr.com (Rajat Datta) (2001-12-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Rajat Datta <rajat@austin.rr.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Dec 2001 13:25:55 -0500
Posted-Date: 29 Dec 2001 13:25:55 EST

>> Then there was OCCAM, where indentation determines block
>> structure. I've never haad a chance to try this, and I'm not sure how
>> to implement it, but it looks like a nice idea. In most cases the
>> programmer indents, but the compiler ignores it and uses other
>> signs. Inevitably, the programmer and the compiler disagree.
>>
> I have heard Python also does this.

Python does indeed rely on indentation as syntax.

I found that when I first started using it, this was slightly
difficult to get used to, but only because I have come to rely so
heavily on Emacs doing my indentations for me (actually, that's when I
realized how dependent I had become). But very quickly--less than an
hour--I found it to be natural and not a problem. In fact, I think
most experienced programmers use indentation anyway, and the only
difference is if the compiler insists on it or not, so adjustment
simply isn't that much of a problem.

rajat