Re: Indirect threading other than GCC?

Nicholas Geovanis <nickgeo@merle.acns.nwu.edu>
11 Dec 2001 21:36:15 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Indirect threading other than GCC? heng@ag.arizona.edu (Heng Yuan) (2001-12-08)
Re: Indirect threading other than GCC? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2001-12-09)
Re: Indirect threading other than GCC? nickgeo@merle.acns.nwu.edu (Nicholas Geovanis) (2001-12-11)
Re: Indirect threading other than GCC? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2001-12-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Nicholas Geovanis <nickgeo@merle.acns.nwu.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Dec 2001 21:36:15 -0500
Posted-Date: 11 Dec 2001 21:36:15 EST

...Having looked at the threading-performance info on your
website a bit...

Tell me whether I understand the Pentium indirect-threading performance
penalty which you documented in 1995: An I-cache miss causes cache
invalidation for *both* I- and D-caches, which means that with a "normal"
(unoptimised) indirect-thread implementation each cache would be
invalidated, flushed and filled twice for *each and every* thread "jump".
Do I have that right? This was only on the original Pentium?

Thanks...Nick G, who once wrote an indirect-threaded Forth 79
                                  interpreter for the IBM/370 running VM/CMS ;-)

* Nick Geovanis Ignorance and blind passions abound, pervading
+-------------------> -- Shinran Shonin