Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted

"Zac Hester" <zhester@enetis.net>
29 Nov 2001 23:08:21 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted zhester@enetis.net (Zac Hester) (2001-11-29)
Re: Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted joshualevy@yahoo.com (2001-12-03)
Re: Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted rweaver@ix.netcom.com (Dick Weaver) (2001-12-08)
Re: Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted JeffKenton@mediaone.net (Jeff Kenton) (2002-01-03)
Re: Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted donalies@adelphia.net (michelle) (2002-02-06)
Re: Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted aschwarz@acm.org (2002-03-09)
Re: Compiler Theory/History Book Recommendations Wanted dr_feriozi@prodigy.net (SLK Parsers) (2002-03-17)

From: "Zac Hester" <zhester@enetis.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Nov 2001 23:08:21 -0500
Posted-Date: 29 Nov 2001 23:08:21 EST

Hello All,

I'm starting out learning about compiler theory (as a hobby and for academic
reasons). So far, I've studied some of the most basic implementation
(parsing tokens into trees of objects and whatnot), but I would really like
to see some of the historical solutions to building compilers from the
ground up. I'm also desperately interested in modern techniques (heavy use
of OOP).

If anyone has had some good experiences with books they've read (even text
books), could you please reply with some titles (or links)? I'm also
interested in reading technical papers, periodicals, and anything on the
web.

My problem is that I don't know the names and places of people who've
created 'standards' in compiler design and theory. If I had some of that
information, I would have plenty of fodder to throw at search engines. As
it is, I've found about a dozen books online, but I don't know enough yet to
decide what is the wheat and what is the chaff.

Thank you for any help you can provide,
Zac Hester
[Interesting question. I can't offhand think of books that provide a
technical history of compilers, although I know a fair number of the
important papers. -John]