Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation?

nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren)
8 Nov 2001 23:17:53 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Reference source for C-compiler validation? jbredno@yahoo.de (2001-11-05)
Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation? joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-11-08)
Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation? loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de (Martin von Loewis) (2001-11-08)
Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation? axel@dtone.org (Axel Kittenberger) (2001-11-08)
Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation? zackw@panix.com (Zack Weinberg) (2001-11-08)
Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation? nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2001-11-08)
Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation? ceco@no_smap_jupiter.com (Tzvetan Mikov) (2001-11-08)
Re: Reference source for C-compiler validation? joshualevy@yahoo.com (2001-12-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Nov 2001 23:17:53 -0500
Posted-Date: 08 Nov 2001 23:17:53 EST

Martin von Loewis <loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
>jbredno@yahoo.de (J. Bredno) writes:
>
>> Simple question, but I'm afraid the answer won't be so simple:
>
>> Are there any widely accepted C and C++ source files that can be
>> used to validate a compiler? E.g., is there some test for ANSI
>> compliance or something similar?
>
>There are certainly widely-accepted C and C++ test suites. I don't
>think any of them is widely available. Common test suites are
>
>Plum Hall: http://www.plumhall.com/suites.html
>Perennial: http://www.peren.com/pages/cvsa_set.htm

There are, but there are some serious problems with them: the state of
the C standard. I have not been following C++.

The syntax of C is moderately well-defined, though there are some
areas where there is considerable dissent over what is specified.
Look at comp.std.c for more evidence than you want to see :-(

The semantics, however, isn't. In most places, the intent is clear,
but it is rarely agreed whether the intent is a requirement or merely
a guideline to recommended practice. In some other (often important)
places, the intent isn't clear, is known only from external sources or
even isn't agreed.

Any validation suite has to decide what language to test against, with
the obvious problems. I have listened to a debate between the author
of a validation suite and someone needed to prove conformance for a
contract on this very matter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
Email: nmm1@cam.ac.uk
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679