DWARF and gcc

Benjamin Ylvisaker <benjamin@chameleonsystems.com>
29 Sep 2001 11:00:10 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DWARF and gcc benjamin@chameleonsystems.com (Benjamin Ylvisaker) (2001-09-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Benjamin Ylvisaker <benjamin@chameleonsystems.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Sep 2001 11:00:10 -0400
Posted-Date: 29 Sep 2001 11:00:10 EDT

I was recently assigned the task of understanding how my company is
using DWARF debugging information with our custom reconfiguarble
processors, because the person who set up the system has left. I
downloaded the spec and got an assembly output from our version of gcc
and began trying to make sense of it. Though the whole system seems
more convoluted than it really needs to be to me, one thing is very
confusing: The documentation reads, "The abbreviations for a given
compilation unit end with an entry consisting of a 0 byte for the
abbreviation code." However, the debug_abbrev section in the assembly
code I produced ends with the normal .byte 0,0 ending for an
abbreviation table entry. Is this a problem with gcc or a
misinterpretation of the spec on my part?

Benjamin