Compiler Design Tools & techniques.. -Backend

Nicholas King <nicholas.king@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au>
29 Sep 2001 10:55:32 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler Design Tools & techniques.. -Backend nicholas.king@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au (Nicholas King) (2001-09-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Nicholas King <nicholas.king@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Sep 2001 10:55:32 -0400
Posted-Date: 29 Sep 2001 10:55:32 EDT

First bit... Yes i am a bit of a newbie.
Now i have had a look around at various parsing tool kits.. Ie Lexx/Yacc
combo. ANTLR-PCCTS , Yacc++ and i am just getting started writing my
parser... Which i will then use with symbols table to make sure everything
is ok :)
So i am getting to the point of the mid end design .. Now i don't have much
interest in assembly (Too finicky.) so i don't really want to do the back
end and i have had a look at gcc or going straight to c (Bad Idea imho)
Cause the language i am writing is really going to need me to define a new
struct for each argument set .. Cause i would like multiple return
arguments... Ie Method x takes in a string ,a int and a stack and returns a
list of strings matched and their positions... (Currently how i code.. I
define a class in java for my return and just use get methods.. Just to get
the code out.. Which looks ugly... Now what i am wondering is peoples
experience with various backend code gen now i at the moment i am seriously
considering gcc backend but that is icky.. I hate c :) So i was wondering
what the groups view of backend generators is ?
Yours Sincerely
                                                        Zeddie (Nicholas King)
CompSci student Newcastle University.